If you think stretch marks appear only on a woman’s stomach after pregnancy, think again. Stretch marks can appear on any part of the body and are most common on calves, thighs, hips, and even your underarms. Stretch marks can be challenging to treat since there seems to be no easy cure to make them go away. However, if you understand why stretch marks occur in the first place, you might be able to avoid them altogether.
Stretch marks on calves can significantly affect your wardrobe choices. However, before you throw out all those gorgeous short dresses and skirts, you might want to read what’s coming.
Why Do Stretch Marks Occur?
To get rid of stretch marks on calves successfully, you first need to understand why they occur. Stretch marks, as the name suggests, occur because of stretching of skin at a particular part of your body. However, this stretching is not usual and the skin does not have the ability to cope with the rapid stretching. This results in collagen breakdown, which causes damage to the dermis layer.
Stretch marks can be vertical or horizontal, depending on the cause of their appearance. Growth factors, such as a change in your height, can cause horizontal stretch marks. Vertical stretch marks, on the other hand, occur due to changes in muscle size or body weight. In the beginning, the stretch marks appear purple or red, but with time, they lose their color.
Stretch marks on calves appear because of the following:
a) Rapid weight changes or growth spurts
b) People that spend their time strength training in the leg and calf area are also prone to developing calf stretch marks. Runners also witness the appearance of stretch marks on their calves due to the increase in muscles.
c) Some genetic factors can cause stretch marks on calves. A hormonal imbalance, a fair skin tone, and dry skin can lead to the occurrence of stretch marks. These stretch marks are generally difficult to treat completely and appear in both vertical and horizontal directions.
What are the Remedies?
Treating stretch marks is not an easy task, but not an impossible one either. If you are unable to get rid of stretch marks completely, you can still make their appearance significantly lighter. There are medical, as well as natural remedies that you can use for this purpose.
a) Medical Treatments
To improve the appearance of your stretch marks, you can try the following:
1. Microdermabrasion is a procedure in which collagen production is encouraged through polishing of the outer skin. The new skin that appears as a result significantly improves the appearance of your old stretch marks.
2. A pulsed dye laser therapy can also encourage collagen and elastin production. The appearance of stretch marks that are relatively new is significantly improved through this therapy.
3. Tretinoin Cream is recommended to all women except for those that are pregnant. This cream is known to restore collagen production thereby giving your skin the elasticity it needs.
4. Excimer Laser is used for changing the color and appearance of the stretch marks by encouraging melanin production. New stretch marks can be effectively treated by this therapy since the redness goes away due to the production of melanin.
b) Natural Remedies
Medical Treatments might be helpful in changing the appearance of your stretch marks. However, you can try some natural methods for keeping your skin young, including:
1. Exercise – Exercising your legs can also help you get rid of the stretch marks on calves. Muscle building will tone your skin, which will eventually make the stretch marks less obvious. Lie down on the floor on your side and keep your head on the arm that is on the floor. Take your upper hand and place it palm down at your waist. Keep your legs straight throughout and elevate the upper leg till the level of your hips. Keep your leg in this position for a count of five and then lower it back. Carry out 15 repetitions and then move on to the other side.
2. Diet –Your diet has a great impact on the appearance of your stretch marks. Make sure that you maintain a diet that is rich in essential vitamin such as A, E, and C. Also, add a lot of protein to your diet so that the tissue can repair fast. Ensure water intake of up to ten glasses a day since water will keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
3. Cream – A homemade cream containing Vitamin E and Aloe Vera also proves to be helpful in treating stretch marks. By massaging this cream into the skin, you will be able to encourage collagen production, improve the skin elasticity, and promote regeneration of skin cells.
4. Weight Loss – If you are suffering from weight issues, your calves have to support the excessive weight all day. Due to this, the stretch marks become aggravated and they are more difficult to treat. Therefore, it is extremely important that you lose excess weight if you wish to treat your stretch marks effectively.
Men can also get stretch marks on calves. Since stretch marks are extremely difficult to treat and require immense motivation, you should prevent them from occurring as much as possible. You can do this by maintaining your weight and exercising on a regular basis. Moreover, you need to keep your diet healthy and rich in anti-oxidants. Try the above-mentioned remedies to significantly improve the appearance of your stretch marks, and witness the positive changes.